Special Event Permit Detail
Application InformationID: 5904 Event: Preston MS Horsetooth Hike
Application Date: 08/12/2021 Event Date: 10/22/2021
Event InformationPermit Type(s): Parks and Open Spaces
Type of Event: Education
Horsetooth Mountain Open Space
The Preston Outing Club is seeking another Special Event Permit to bring Preston Middle School Students to Horsetooth Mountain Park for a Moonlight Hike of Horsetooth Rock. This is an annual event for Preston which seeks to educate our local community on the natural beauty of our surrounding area. Our goal with this hike is to promote ethical enjoyment of the outdoors.
As trip leader, I am well familiar with the trail systems in the park. I also have a Wilderness First Responder certification.
Consistency of activity with missions of Larimer County Natural Resources Department
- Impact from activity on natural environment (cultural resources and natural resources
including riparian areas, wetlands, rare plants and plant communities and sensitive
wildlife species) -- season, timing, intensity, duration and nature of activity:
This is an educational trip to help provide access to our local open spaces. Students will learn about and experience the ecology of the Park.
- Impacts on adjacent public and private lands (noise, trash, traffic, parking): We will hike only on Larimer County Property
- Impacts on other users/uses of Larimer County parks and open spaces (safety,
potential conflicts, trailheads, overuse, carrying capacity): We will be carpooling to the trailhead. We will practice trail etiquette while hiking on the trails.
- Compliance with appropriate regulations and ordinances: We will read and follow all trail signs before and during the hike.
- Staff and equipment requirements (enforcement, monitoring, education, restoration
and follow up maintenance costs): We won't require any Park Staff on this hike
- Alternatives available; appropriate uses/events sited in designated areas or at more
appropriate locations or properties: N/A
- Availability of toilet/parking facilities to accommodate proposed special use; N/A
- Reclamation of disturbed areas: N/A
- Benefit and relationship of proposed research projects to the Department or adopted
missions within the Department: more trail users and park pass purchasers in the future!
Thank you for your consideration!
Outdoor Education Teacher
Preston Middle School
Fort Collins, CO
Estimated Participants: 50 Estimated Spectators: 0
Food / Alcohol:
Food is NOT being Served.
Alcohol is NOT being Served
Fri. 10/22/2021: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Additional Information Submitted by Applicant1. Date Submitted: 08/23/2021
Certificate of Insurance Coverage from Poudre School District
2. Date Submitted: 08/25/2021
Reviewing Agency Comments/Status
Email the Special Events Coordinator regarding this application.
Status: ApprovedComments: There are currently no local public health orders related to COVID-19 and Special Events. Event coordinators may implement their own policies so long as they are meeting the minimum requirements set forth by the state of Colorado. Please follow Larimer County's Coronavirus website for the latest information and any new public health orders at the time of the event:
If you have questions, please contact our Joint Information Center:
=970-498-5500 (open Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm); or,
=text questions: 970-999-1770
=email questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Larimer County Emergency Management
Parks & Open Lands
Status: ApprovedComments: Please keep signed worksheet with special event permit - JW
Poudre School District
Status: ApprovedComments: reviewed and no exceptions taken