Special Event Permit Detail
Application InformationID: 5637 Event: Miller Family Celebration
Application Date: 07/25/2019 Event Date: 10/11/2019
Event InformationPermit Type(s): Private Land
East Colorado Road 60, Wellington, CO 80531
This is a family celebration between extended family and friends. There will be food and alcohol at this event. The food and alcohol will be provided by members of the family and are not being provided commercially. It’s a full day event and will conclude at the end of the night. There will be music, yard games, and dancing.
Estimated Participants: 250 Estimated Spectators: 0
Food / Alcohol:
Food is being served: PACKAGED
Alcohol IS being served.
Fri. 10/11/2019: 9 AM - 11:59 PM
Additional Information Submitted by Applicant1. Date Submitted: 08/06/2019
The exact address of the event is 5605 E. Co Rd 60 In Wellington
Reviewing Agency Comments/Status
Email the Special Events Coordinator regarding this application.
Status: ApprovedComments: Approval is conditional on all events happening outside the barn which was illegally converted without planning approval or building permit to an events center. The barn lacks basic required safety features for weddings and similar events like fire sprinklers, proper exits, illuminated exit signage, health dept. approval, state electrical and fire dept. approval, etc. If applicant is worried about needing to go inside due to potential bad weather, they need to find a legal, safe, permitted events center venue. If they want to put up a tent over 400 sq. ft., they need a permit from Wellington Fire.
Status: ApprovedComments: Refer to Building Department conditions.
Colorado Division of Wildlife
County Clerk and Recorder
Status: ApprovedComments: This entity is not a non-profit organization, therefore, does not qualify to apply for a Special Event Liquor Permit.
Status: ApprovedComments: Health Dept is reviewing this as a Special Event. It is understood that this location has inquired about becoming a community hall with the Planning Dept and may apply for three Special Event permits for 2019.
1. The site is served by a septic system that is not approved for 250 guests. Portable restrooms are required. For 250 people for 19 hours with alcohol, 8-10 portable restrooms shall be provided.
2. A minimum of 2 handwashing stations shall be provided. Handwashing stations may be rented from the company providing the portable restrooms, or may consist of a water dispensing container (blue camping containers) with a catch bucket, soap and paper towels.
3. Trash receptacles shall be provided at the restrooms and throughout the site. It is not known if single service items will be used for food and beverage service, but recycling containers are also recommended if appropriate.
4. Potable water shall be made available to event guests by drinking fountains, commercial bottled water, or from water dispensing containers. Drinking water must come from an approved treated water supply. If the barn is supplied by Northern Colorado Water, this would be sufficient to fill beverage dispensers with.
5. The application indicates that food served will be packaged, but the project description indicates that food will be provided by family and friends such as a potluck. The Health Department does not regulate food service at 'potlucks'. We would recommend that friends and family follow safe food handling practices for handwashing, temperature control for hot and cold foods, cooking temperatures, etc. For safe food handling information, you cold refer to the Health Department guidelines for outdoor events, but several items may not be applicable:
Additional food safety for family/large event potlucks can be found at:
The description indicated that music will be part of the celebration. In the case of this property, there are two adjacent residences that could be impacted by noise, even if decibels are controlled in accordance with the County Noise Ordinance. It is in the applicant's best interest to contact the adjacent property owners and let them know about the event. It is also recommended that the applicant provide phone numbers for neighbors to call if there are concerns so the applicant can remedy the situation. In addition to music noise, be advised that a large outdoor crowd can create noise issues as the evening proceeds with elevated voices and celebration enhanced with alcohol consumption.
The county does not have set hours for noise, just decibel limits for specific times. The noise limits at the property lines shall be below 55 decibels during the day between 7am to 7pm. At night, noise must remain below 50 decibels at the property line from 7pm to 7am. In a quiet area such as this, the music will be heard everywhere even when decibels are maintained at property lines. It is recommended that only acoustic, non-amplified music be used and volumes decreased after 8pm. Since the event occurs after hours on a weekend, the Sheriff would respond to noise disturbances from a party.
The Noise Ordinance is available at the following link:
6. Since the event occurs during dusk hours, the Health Dept recommends pest control for mosquitoes as we have West Nile positive mosquitoes in the County. The applicant could treat the property prior to the event, or provide mosquito repellent, or inform guests to protect themselves. Additional information is available on our website:
Larimer County Emergency Management
Status: ApprovedComments: The property is zoned O-Open, County Road 60 is classified as a minor collector, as such all temporary structures should be located a minimum of 70 feet from the right-of-way centerline of CR 60 and 25-feet from all other property lines.
The property is not located within a FEMA designated floodplain.
All parking for the wedding should be on-site. All disturbed areas should be re vegetated with native grass seed to avoid erosion and noxious weeds.
Poudre Fire Authority
Status: ApprovedComments: Not in Poudre Fire Authority Jurisdiction.
Poudre Valley Hospital
Status: More Information NeededComments: Please provide a certificate of insurance with general liability limit no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence / $2,000,000 general aggregate. The certificate of insurance must name Larimer County as certificate holder (Larimer County Risk Management 200 W Oak St Suite 4000 Fort Collins, CO 80525) and list Larimer County as additional insured.
Status: ApprovedComments: Whats the exact address of your event? Also, if any music is being played, please ensure it complies with the county noise ordinance.
8/28: Please ensure that no cars are parked along CR 60
Status: DeniedComments: Pre-inspection will be required prior to approval. WFPD will contact applicant to schedule. Left message
9.1.19 Pending pre inspection response, not approved until pre-inspection completed
Status: DENIEDGood afternoon,
Your application was heard before the Board of County Commissioners at the 3:00 p.m. Land Use Hearing. Your event was denied by the Commissioners and cannot take place on October 11, 2019.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.