Special Events Permits
There are three types of permits for special events available from Larimer County:
- County Roads
- A special event is considered to be: a bicycle race or ride; foot race or walk; a motored vehicle event; a temporary road closure for purposes other than normal highway uses; or any other event utilizing a Larimer County road or other County property that requires changing, restricting, or adapting the normal traffic use of such a road. This permit is governed by the Resolution Establishing Special Event Permit Requirements For Larimer County Roads. The Sheriff's Office and Colorado State Patrol will require at least a partial lane closure and traffic diversion plan for racing events where they will be disregarding the rules of the road (such as blowing stop signs or crossing over the lane divider lines). Permits may be processed more quickly if route maps are submitted in KML/KMZ format to the firstname.lastname@example.org email.
- Private Land
- The use of privately owned land, buildings or structures for a gathering where it is reasonably anticipated that attendance will exceed 40 people at any single time, at any location, for any purpose except personal events as defined in the Land Use Code under Section 7. This includes events such as carnivals, circuses, concerts, etc. This permit is governed by article 7 of the Larimer County Land Use Code.
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Any event/activity taking place in Department of Natural Resources areas that may require special planning or scheduling; may significantly impact natural and cultural resources; or may significantly impact departmental values, norms, liabilities, and/or visitor expectations. This permit is governed by departmental policy DNR-08 Special Activities on Larimer County Parks and Open Spaces Properties. (If you are interested in making a group pavilion reservation, please visit larimer.org/naturalresources/reservations/group-pavilions resources for more information regarding events and weddings at our parks and open spaces.)
Permit for Corn Mazes
The special event permit application system is being used for handling permits for corn mazes in unincorporated Larimer County. The processing fee for these has been waived. To use this system to apply online for a permit, specify that you are requesting a permit on Private Land and choose to pay by check so the application process can be completed. You will not actually have to pay for the permit.
There is a $100 non-refundable administrative processing fee for all special events applications for County Roads and Private Land ($250 for County Roads for for-profit organizations). An additional fee of $500 is required if a complete road closure is required for the event. Additional fees may be charged if any portion of event takes place on Natural Resources areas.
There is a $25 non-refundable administrative processing fee for events taking place within the boundaries of Department of Natural Resources property. Events taking place within the Department of Natural Resources may be assessed additional costs before event approval. Park staff will contact special event applicants when payment is due.
Applications must be submitted a minimum of 60 days before the event date.
A certificate of insurance showing valid event/general liability coverage for no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 general aggregate is required for all special event applications. The certificate must name Larimer County as the certificate holder (Larimer County Attn: Risk Management 200 W Oak St Suite 4000 Fort Collins, CO 80525) and list Larimer County as an additional insured. If an event includes a strenuous physical activity (cycling, running, swimming, climbing etc.) a copy of the participant waiver must also be provided. See below Special Event Insurance Information link for information on event insurance and to see an example of a certificate of insurance.
- Apply Online
- Special Event Insurance Information
- View Upcoming Events - information on all upcoming events
- Update Your Application Information - add additional information, withdraw application
- Event Notification - get an email about new county road events in your area
- Feedback on this online process
- Staff Login