LAPAC             Meeting Minutes

July 17, 2012


Members Present: Carla Brookman,  Susanne Cordery-Cotter,  Allan Leibow, Andre Duval, Mandy Kotzman, Ed Ott, Cordelia Stone, Ed Stoner.


Larimer County Planning Staff Members Present: Samantha Mott.


Meeting Called to Order: Mandy Kotzman (Chair) called meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.


Agenda: Adopted as written.


Meeting Minutes: May 15, 2012 meeting minutes adopted as written.


Member communication items:

1.   Carla Brookman brought up transportation to LaPorte – it is included in the LaPorte Area Plan, we are about the well being of the community. In 2000 there was a trial bus by Transfort. It was discontinued. Do we have people here that would use it? There are lower income people wanting a job in town, the elderly, commuters, teenagers, late night users. It was tried before, not successful; we need a longer trial than six months. People need it to be predictable and reliable. Grant writing? Perhaps we could get funding for small community improvement, Community Block Grants might be available. Previously, the bus trial used Supplemental Environmental Project money from the Holcim cement plant fine. Having a bus is also an environmental issue – fewer cars. Next steps – Carla will invite Transfort to come and discuss it with LAPAC.


2.   Alan Leibow – newest member was welcomed and introduced himself.


County Communication items (by Samantha Mott):

1.   Brownstone quarry went to planning commission, Samantha will email us the results, it will be before the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) on Monday July 23. Atlas cell tower also went to Planning Commission, Samantha will send us the results; then on August 6 it goes to BCC. Discussion regarding the Atlas cell tower -  Mandy had received a call from a neighbor and she was unhappy about how neighbor opinions were conveyed to LAPAC.  She was more unhappy than LAPAC members understood. Ed Ott was at the meeting and only heard positive comments. Samantha reiterated that she can attend Planning Commission and BCC hearings. Mandy will let her know that she can attend the BCC hearing.


2.   Code amendments - County is working on changing regulations regarding non conformities to make them more relaxed. Samantha can bring a copy to the next LAPAC meeting, also it is available on the County website. Public Site Plan for detached accessory living areas changed as a result of horse regulations. The County is considering a change to neighborhood meetings. The applicant would be required to send notices to neighbors and if there are issues then the applicant could work out issues with neighbors. If successful, then the application could be approved administratively. This provides a lower fee, shorter timeframe, but still allows neighbor input. Some projects will request comment and input from neighbors in writing, rather than have a meeting.


3.   Alan attended new member training which covered legal issues, such as open meetings, conflict of interest, etc. They talked about neighborhood meetings and the County attorney did not agree that LAPAC members should be invited to neighborhood meetings, it may result in some members getting more information than other members. There can be an exception if the member is within the notification 500 foot radius. Ed Ott disagrees, neighborhood meetings give helpful information. Further, they are open meetings, so LAPAC members could not be prohibited from attending. Discussion ensued – valid arguments on both sides. Samantha will revisit this with the attorney.  Samantha will ask the attorney to come to one of our meetings and discuss this further.


4.   Pope has reapplied, it has been accepted, if there are no appeals, it could come to LAPAC in August. There has been a neighborhood meeting. Matt Lafferty is the planner.


5.   Russ Legg is now planning director (Linda Hoffman is now County Manager).


Personal appearances:  None.


Action Items:


1.   Notices: see agenda for language regarding posting meeting notices. Motion made by Alan Leibow , seconded by  Ed Stoner, approved.


2.   Election of officers:  Suggestion to keep the same officers currently in place. Motion made by Andre Duvall, seconded by Ed Ott. All in favor, motion carried.


Motion to adjourn by Andre Duvall seconded by Cordelia Stone.

Adjourned at 8:07 pm.