March 13th, 2018



Members In Attendance:

Jane Abels

Richard Alper

Daniel Beveridge

Corey Broeckling

Jim Gerek

Kimberly Karish

Evelyn King

Matt Tobler

Joe Wilson





Brad Decker, Platte River Power Authority






Shelley Bayard de Volo, Environmental Coordinator, Engineering















Meeting Start:  Call to order 6:03 PM


Amendments or Additions to the Agenda:

Minutes to be approved are the February minutes NOT January

ClimateWise update by K. Karish will be moved to the April agenda.


Introduction of Members and Guests:

All members and guests introduced themselves. 


Citizen Comments:



Discussion Items:

Platte River Power Authority “Zero Net Carbon Study: Assumptions, Analysis and Results”

Brad Decker and Joe Wilson both presented on the PRPA’s energy portfolio history, its current status and its future outlook under different scenarios.  The PRPA historically relied on hydro and coal generated power to supply electricity to its customers, but they added solar in 1987, wind power in 1998 and natural gas in 2002.   Currently they are adding more renewables and natural gas and are looking to decommission coal-fired power plants as economics dictate.


The PRPA’s plan includes joining into a Mountain West Regional Transmission Organization (RTO), where energy can be bought and sold.  This will allow PRPA to better integrate renewable resources.  Brad’s presentation defined “Zero Net Carbon” as having a portfolio consisting of excess carbon-free (or lower carbon) generation that, when sold in a market, can offset carbon produced by fossil fuel-fired generation, producing “zero net carbon (ZNC)” or carbon neutrality.  To meet the 2030 ZNC target Platte River needs to make the following key assumptions:


·  All coal generation is to be retired by 2030

·  Maintain required resource adequacy / reserve margin of 15%

·  Maintain existing hydro power positions

·  Maintain existing renewables position and add as necessary to meet ZNC targets

·  Retain existing combustion turbines as a “free capacity option”; however, the units are not required to run

·  Battery peak credit of 75% for 4-hour lithium ion battery

·  Determine the least-cost feasible generation mix that achieves the ZNC target considering a range of technology options (e.g. solar, wind, gas combined cycle, combustion turbines, reciprocating engines, lithium ion battery storage).


Brad then provided explanation of the assumptions and went over different portfolio scenarios.  He ended with presenting the study’s conclusions:


·  ZNC could be implemented but will require investment, higher cost, and additional market risk. 

·  Platte River would serve about 75% of load with zero carbon generation and would offset the remaining 25% with sales of zero carbon generation to the market.

·  Platte River would need to buy about 600 MW of solar and 350 MW of wind by 2030 and build about 286 MW of new gas-fired generation.

·  Lithium ion battery storage is not economic for meeting firming and capacity needs at this time. 

·  A zero carbon (rather than zero net carbon) portfolio would be more expensive because of the added cost of storage and the limited capacity credit attributable to intermittent resources (much more renewables and batteries would be required).

·  Higher rates would be required to achieve a ZNC portfolio as compared to the IRP portfolio.


Approval of Minutes:

Evelyn King moved to approve the February minutes, as amended, and Matt Tobler seconded that motion. The amended February minutes were approved by acclamation. 




Corey Broeckling provided an overview of all the County advisory boards.  The presentation was formatted into a spreadsheet that included information of the staff contact, subject matter, topics from recent minutes and subjects where there is overlap with the ESAB.  Jane Abels noted she specifically looked at the Land Stewardship Board, who typically has seven members, but currently has four.  Richard asked how the ESAB thinks they should move forward:

·  Go to meetings

·  Follow agendas

·  Do some Boards stand out as being particularly relevant?


Richard noted that he will propose a plan and present that to the Commissioners at a quarterly update meeting.  Jim questioned whether the Plan should be approved by the ESAB first?  One suggestion is to have Shelley send out a blanket email to all other Boards informing them the ESAB is available to lend their expertise.  Some questions from ESAB members included whether other Boards were asked to do the same?  What exactly does Commissioner Johnson want?  Have all Commissioners asked their Boards to do the same? Perhaps there should be more collaboration among Board staff members?  Monthly meetings?



Jim Gerek provided a quick update.  The process is now moving towards discussions of the need for updating ordinances and municipal codes to support use of the facilities that are being proposed.


Environmental Stewardship Awards

Jane Abels, Daniel Beveridge, and Jim Gerek agreed to serve on the Environmental Stewardship Awards committee.  They will meet to review all nominations and present a slate of recommendations at our next ESAB meeting.


Loveland Big Thompson River Corridor Master Plan

Richard Alper and Shelley Bayard de Volo provided a brief explanation of what the plan is and encouraged members to attend the upcoming joint Flood Review Board-ESAB meeting on March 22nd at 0830 AM.


ESAB member’s upcoming appointments

Several Board member’s terms are up June 30th this year.  Those individuals confirmed that they did in fact receive an email notifying them that their terms were up and that they would need to go through the online application process if they wanted to renew .  The application deadline is  April 22nd.  The Commissioner’s office indicated that member’s wishing to re-apply do not need to fill out the entire application, but they do need to address the following:


·  Name

·  Address

·  Phone numbers

·  Email

·  If you are applying to more than one board

·  Current Occupation and Employer

·  Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

·  Conflict of Interest Disclosure

·  Interview Availability


ESAB Issue Index:

Richard asked for volunteers for the following currently unassigned items:

6.01 - Floodplains - Kimberly Karish volunteered.

6.05 - Watershed - Daniel Beveridge and Matt Tobler volunteered. 

8.01 - Jane Abels, Daniel Beveridge and Jim Gerek volunteered.


Next Meeting Draft Agenda:

The next meeting will be held April 10th, 2018.  Discussion items include a presentation on Emerald Ash Borer and parasitic wasp biological controls Casey Cisneros, Land Stewardship Program, Larimer County and John Kaltenbach from Colorado Dept. of Agriculture. 



The meeting ended at 8:35 PM