LARIMER COUNTY BOARD OF HEALTH – February 10, 2011
The Larimer County Board of Health (BOH) convened its regular meeting at 7:00 PM at the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment (LCDHE), 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Judy R. Robinson, B.S.N., M.P.H.
C.J. McKinney, M.A.
Executive Secretary: Adrienne LeBailly, M.D., M.P.H.
Staff: Jerry Blehm and Amanda Mozer
1. Call to order
The Board of Health meeting was called to order at 7:14 PM.
2. Approval of the January 13, 2011 Board of Health meeting minutes
The minutes of the January 13, 2011 meeting were unanimously approved.
3. Review and approval of revised Draft Goals for 2011 - BOH members
Ø Dr. LeBailly distributed revised “Draft Goals for 2011” document to BOH to review BOH goals
*MOTION was made to adopt revised Draft BOH Goals for 2011 as final BOH 2011 goals
**MOTION was unanimously approved
4. Report from Colorado Association of Local Boards Of Health (CALBOH) meeting
Ø Report is postponed as Lee Thielen was unable to attend February BOH meeting
5. National Association of Local Boards Of Health (NALBOH) survey
Ø NALBOH survey is due February 17, 2011
· BOH members can send feedback on NALBOH survey to Dr. Richards
6. Director’s Report - Dr. LeBailly
Ø Dr. LeBailly provided a report on the all-staff meeting of LCDHE held in early February concerning the department budget, performance measures, and health indicators, as well as the service prioritization tool that had been used in 2002 when the department’s budget experienced a sudden unexpected loss of state per capita funding. She distributed the PowerPoint slides from the staff presentation and the criteria proposed for the prioritization matrix to the Board.
· Some of the topics Dr. LeBailly and Marie Macpherson covered in the staff meeting were Public Health trends, issues, and directions; examples of state/local health indicators and where to find them; the Public Health Reauthorization Act (Senate Bill 194); the State fiscal crisis; and the County’s efforts towards greater accountability to the public by building performance measures into their budget comprising of inputs, outputs, efficiency, outcomes and client satisfaction.
· Staff were asked to review and solicit suggestions on improving LCDHE’s services matrix; Health Managers’ Group will review suggestions and revise matrix
· Next steps: 1) County will provide a performance measure training to Department Heads on Feb 16, 2) LCDHE will provide a performance measure training to Program Supervisors and Coordinators on Feb 22 and 23, 3) Program Supervisors and Coordinators will work with their staff to create program measures by March 31, 4) Each program area will be asked to provide the content in the revised services matrix for their own program by April 21 and 5) an electronic survey tool will be developed and made available to all staff to gather staff feedback for priorities about services that are not in their own program area
Ø Dr. LeBailly distributed the Institute of Medicine’s summary report of their publication For the Public’s Health: The Role of Measurement in Action and Accountability to BOH members
· This report is one of three commissioned by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and focuses on measurement and accountability for public health initiatives, services, and policies.
· Dr. LeBailly was invited to Washington, D.C. to be on a reactor panel to discuss the report
· The BOH suggested submitting a brief paragraph to the local papers on Dr. LeBailly’s invitation to the National Academy of Sciences/Institute of Medicine.
· Colorado has approximately $7.5 billion in discretionary funds and is facing a $1.1 billion shortfall (about 16% of all discretionary expenditures).
7. Executive Session - Public Health Director evaluation delayed from January meeting
Ø BOH moved into executive session to discuss personal matters regarding the performance evaluation of the Public Health director, in compliance with C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4) (f) (I)
The Board came out of
executive session at 7:55 PM. No action was taken.
Next meeting, March 10,
10. The meeting was adjourned at 8 PM.
Amanda Mozer, Recording Secretary Adrienne LeBailly, MD, Executive Secretary