AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
November 14, 2018
Present: Jennifer Bornhoft (liaison), Jason Brothers, Beth Conrey, Jenn Cram (liaison), Travis Horton, Gail Meisner, Paula Petroff (Extension), Travis Rollins (liaison), Greg Schreiner, Zach Thode, George Wallace, and Natalie Yoder.
Absent: Timothy Clouse, Karen Crumbaker (liaison), Sean Dougherty, Nic Koontz, Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky, and Bill Spencer (liaison)
- Meeting called to order, introduction of guests, and chair report. Chairman Zach Thode called the meeting to order at 12:37 p.m. and introduced Franklyn Garry. Mr. Garry is considering applying for membership to the AAB.
- Consideration of minutes from September 12, 2018 meeting. The September 12, 2018, AAB Meeting Minutes were approved as submitted.
- Interaction with Commissioner Dougherty on Ag and Community related issues. Commissioner Dougherty was not present at this meeting. Zach Thode shared that Larimer County Department of Natural Resources Director, Gary Buffington, is retiring at the end of the year. Interviews for Mr. Buffington’s replacement will be conducted at the end of November or beginning of December. The AAB has been invited to sit on the interview committee and George Wallace was nominated to represent the board, with Natalie Yoder as a backup if George is unable to attend.
- Larimer County Water Projects Working Group Update – Greg Schreiner. Greg shared that he would be giving his presentation tomorrow evening, November 15, 2018. Goal is to urge keeping agriculture viable along the Interstate 25 corridor. Discussion was held regarding the following:
Comp Plan Update – Gail Meisner. Discussion was held regarding the following:
- Professional facilitator hired to oversee Working Group meetings. Four meetings have been conducted with approximately 200 individuals attending each meeting.
- Presentation by City of Thornton about the background of project and how they got to present stance.
- Discussion on logistics of trenching, boring, traffic control, utilities, etc.
- Northern Integrated Supply Project (NISP)/Glade Reservoir pipeline and join with Thornton
- City of Thornton condemnation rights
- Dry up requirements
- Instream Flow
Right to Farm/Agricultural Signs in Larimer County Continued – Travis Rollins and Zach Thode agreed to go out in the field with Jenn Cram to determine exact locations for proposed signs. A date will be determined in the near future and all are invited to go along.
Rural Health Crisis and LESA Presentations Updates. George Wallace distributed draft Larimer County LESA Revisions document and requested that any thoughts, objections and revisions should be given to him by end of November. The latest draft will be given to the Open Lands Advisory Board (OLAB) for review and comment before scheduling time with the Board of County Commissioners (BCC).
Additional AAB Discussion Items. Zach Thode discussed trying to schedule a water workshop. The Poudre River Forum around February 7, 2019 and suggests the AAB attend if they are available.
Announcements. Gail Meisner shared that CDOT is looking at the Wellington exit off Interstate 25 for upgrades and repairs. Open meetings are continuing about the future of a new landfill in Wellington.
The next AAB meeting will be held on January 9, 2019, at 12:30 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension Office, 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
- Retain in Master Plan
- Include more detailed language
- Agriculture to remain viable
- Prioritizing LESA
- Referring to AAB as communication source for community and agriculture
- Agriculture enterprise zones in the Interstate 25/Mulberry Street area, with no annexation into the City of Ft. Collins
- No IGA between Larimer County and City of Ft. Collins
- Small scale farms
- Educational components
- Buy and supply water sharing
- New land use districts
- Transferrable Ownership Rights (TDU’s)
The meeting was adjourned at 2:37 p.m.