LARIMER COUNTY AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
Approved Meeting Minutes
July 11, 2018
Present: Jennifer Bornhoft (liaison), Jason Brothers, Timothy Clouse, Beth Conrey, Jenn Cram (liaison), Travis Horton, Nic Koontz, Gail Meisner, Paula Petroff (Extension), Travis Rollins (liaison), Greg Schreiner, Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky, Zach Thode, and George Wallace, and Natalie Yoder.
Absent: Karen Crumbaker (liaison), Lew Gaiter, Bill Spencer (liaison).
I. Meeting called to order, introduction of guests, and chair report. Zach Thode called the meeting to order at 12:38 p.m. and introduced Carmen Farmer from Colorado Open Lands.
II. Consideration of minutes from May 9, 2018 meeting. The May 9, 2018 AAB Meeting Minutes were approved and accepted, with noted modifications regarding the discussion on attendance.
III. Interactions with Commissioner Gaiter on Ag and Community related issues. Commissioner Gaiter was not in attendance.
IV. Colorado Open Lands – Carmen Farmer. Ms. Farmer introduced herself to the AAB and shared what she does in her position as a Conservation Project Manager with Colorado Open Lands. Literature was distributed with detailed information about land conservation easements and water sharing. Discussion was held regarding the following:
· Easements used to protect farms, ranches, wildlife, and scenic land.
· Benefits of conservation easements to landowners in form of tax deductions and credits
· Ability for landowners to be good stewards of water
· Restrictions of conservation easements
· Appraisals and fraud that occurred in the early 2000’s
· Public understanding of economic benefits of agriculture
· Why there are not more ATMs
· Water court and cost involved
· How organic farmers are affected by fallowed land requirements
V. Leadership Summit – Zach Thode. Zach shared that the Strategic Plan Community Leadership Summit was being held today at The Ranch. Topics and considerations for the next Strategic Plan (2018-2023) include:
· Mental health
· Transportation (including broadband)
· Housing availability and affordability
· Citizens appreciation of open space land in the County
VI. Comp Plan Update -- Gail Meisner shared updates on the Comprehensive Plan Rural Stakeholder Committee that she is a member of:
· The group is very open and supportive of agriculture in Larimer County
· Gail provided the link for the Visioning Survey. It is: https://www.larimercompplan.com/front-range-visioning-survey
· There are Front Range Visioning meetings scheduled for July 19 and July 26, 2018.
· Six key issues being addressed are: Community, Health and Social, Housing, Infrastructure and Watersheds/Natural Resources
VII. Right to Farm/Agricultural Signs in Larimer County Continued – Zach reminded AAB members to send Jenn Cram suggestions for placement of five signs in confrontational agricultural hot spots. Jenn distributed a handout with examples of farm/agricultural signs and ideas of what should be included on signs.
VIII. Transfer of Development Units (TDU’s) – Matt Lafferty gave an overview of what a TDU program is and discussed how it worked to preserve open space in the Fossil Creek area. The value of the TDU was left open during the Fossil Creek development. He noted that in order for a TDU program to work you have to have acceptable receiving sites. It would be beneficial to have discussions with local municipalities as it makes the most sense to transfer density to areas within established Growth Management Areas (GMA’s) or within incorporated areas.
IX. Announcements – Due to time limitations, the AAB Committees and Tasks Forces will be emailing what they’ve prepared to date for member’s review. Gail has prepared a PowerPoint and George has a handout.
Zach shared that Colorado State University is seeking applicants for Water Literate Leaders of Northern Colorado. Meetings are held once per month and applications are currently being accepted for the next session. If interested, please contact Zach for application information.
The Board members discussed inviting Congressional and Senate candidates to future AAB meetings. Zach will contact John Kefalas about attending the next meeting.
X. The next AAB meeting will be held on September 12, 2018, at 12:30 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension Office, 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
XI. The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.