LARIMER COUNTY AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
Approved Meeting Minutes
May 9, 2018
Present: Jennifer Bornhoft (liaison), Timothy Clouse, Jenn Cram (liaison), Karen Crumbaker (liaison), Travis Horton, Nic Koontz, Gail Meisner, Paula Petroff (Extension), Travis Rollins (liason), Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky, Zach Thode, George Wallace, and Natalie Yoder.
Absent: Jason Brothers, Beth Conrey, Lew Gaiter, Greg Schreiner, Bill Spencer (liaison), Ted Swanson.
I. Meeting called to order, introduction of guests, and chair report. Zach Thode called the meeting to order at 12:35 p.m.
II. Consideration of minutes from March 14, 2018 meeting. The March 14, 2018 AAB Meeting Minutes were approved and accepted.
III. Interactions with Commissioner Gaiter on Ag and Community related issues. Commissioner Gaiter was not in attendance. Zach offered to relay any concerns members might think of later to Commissioner Gaiter.
IV. Final Comments on Bylaws. There was a brief discussion and all members in attendance agreed that recent changes were acceptable. Jenn will get the Bylaws to the Larimer County Attorney’s Office and then to the Board of County Commissioners for approval signatures.
V. Discuss Trespass Cattle on Red Mountain Open Space – Travis Rollins. The Larimer County Natural Resources office has a challenging issue with chronic trespassing on leased pastures at the Red Mountain Open Space. Seventy-two mixed-breed cattle and yaks graze after lessee’s cattle vacate pasture for the season. Travis asked for possible creative solutions to the problem and discussion was held regarding:
· Fencing trespassing cattle out and cost to do so
· Are locks cut and fences broken?
· Stray cattle law in Colorado
· Brand Inspector reluctance to take final step to transport cattle to Centennial Livestock
· Trucking versus walking cattle out and cost involved
· Obtain and mount surveillance cameras available from Larimer County Sheriff’s Office
· Consult with Larimer County Open Land Board
VI. Phase II of the Larimer County Comprehensive Plan Update April 11 Meeting Recap. Discussion was held regarding the following:
· More discussion to make sure Agriculture is included in Phase II
· Gail will be on the Rural Stakeholder Committee.
· Need to review the 1997 Master Plan for relevance
· Water concerns. No water = no agriculture
· Can land use codes be changed to encourage retaining Agriculture
· Can agriculture work and co-exist with industrial
· Jenn asked that members review minutes and send her thoughts
· Zach wants to see AAB Right to Farm Policy in the Plan. This is an opportunity to have Agricultural uses established and given legal protection
· Number of acres of Organic farms in Larimer County
· Providing examples of problem areas and successes that Logan Simpson can tour.
· Success of Fossil Creek TDU’s. Jenn offered to arrange for a speaker to discuss with the AAB
· Review Rural Land Use Code
· Request consultants to attend AAB meeting in July or schedule a separate meeting with them
VII. Right to Farm/Agricultural Signs in Larimer County Continued. Discussion was held regarding the following:
· Zach will contact Commissioner Gaiter for pricing and installing signs
· Suggestion to add line item in budget for this project
· Goal is to have the County Road and Bridge Department install and maintain signs
· Travis R. suggested contacting TNT Signs in Denver. They do the signs for the Open Lands Program.
· Are government signs exempt from size requirements? Jenn will research
· Travis R. will research various sized signs and prices
· Zach asked Nic to look into Right to Farm and potential impacts that could be referenced
· Placement of five signs in confrontational agricultural hot spots. AAB members should consider locations and report to Jenn.
VIII. 2018 Committees and Tasks Continued Discussion – Zach Thode. Zach reminded members of the November 18, 2018 deadline. Discussions regarding tasks included the following:
· Jenn will look into the Land Use Code for housing for farm laborers
· Mini-TDU’s and employee housing
· Karen will try to locate paper written about the Fossil Creek Reservoir TDU
IX. Announcements – Gail shared that there is a landfill information meeting at the Leeper Center in Wellington tonight, May 9, 2018, from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
George reminded members that the City of Thornton would be presenting their proposal for pipeline construction to the Larimer County Planning Commission meeting on Wednesday, May 16, 2018. Jenn shared that the Board of County Commissioner meeting to vote on this matter is July 9, 2018. Both meetings are at 6:30 p.m.
Zach reviewed the attendance policy and discussed two board members attendance for 2018.
X. The next AAB meeting will be held on July 11, 2018, at 12:30 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension Office, 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
XI. The meeting was adjourned at 2:50 p.m.