LARIMER COUNTY AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
May 9, 2012
Members present: David Bee, Curtis Bridges, LuAnn Goodyear, Lew Grant, Val Manning, Brett Markham, Gail Meisner, George Reed, Mike Salaz, Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky, and George Wallace. Others present: Karen Crumbaker (CSU Extension) and Linda Hoffmann (Staff liaison, Larimer County Planning & Building Division). Guest: Charles Gindler, Lee Summers, Jennifer Benhoft, and Brenda Gimeson.
Members absent: Jason Kraft, John Rankin and Minerva Lee
I. Val Manning called the meeting to order at 12:35 p.m. The meeting was held at CSU Ag. Research, Development and Education Center (ARDEC).
II. Introductions were made.
III. The March 14, 2012 AAB Meeting Minutes were approved.
IV. Request for Assistance with Rural Resource Guide. Brenda Gimeson, Rural Land Use Specialist advised the AAB that the Larimer County Rural Resource Handbook was being revised. She requested input for topic areas to be included in the handbook. A list of excellent suggestions by Board members was made in the topic areas of Property/General Rural Living Information, Ag/Farming/Right to Farm, Irrigation Ditches, and Water Rights. Brenda asked the AAB to provide comments and suggestions by May 25, 2012. Comments can be directed to Brenda by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 498-7719. The handbook is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
V. Lee Sommers, Director of Experiment Stations and Jennifer Bornhoft, ARDEC Manager, provided and overview of the history and research taking place at ARDEC. Following the presentation, the AAB members boarded vans and received a tour of ARDEC.
- LuAnn Goodyear attended Citizen Meetings and Commissioner Breakfasts held in Wellington and Red Feather Lakes.
- George Wallace expressed concern over the theft of the long copper electrical cable off the top of center pivot irrigation sprinklers taking place in rural areas of Larimer County. As a result, a letter from the Commissioners was sent to the Sheriff’s office asking them to make personnel aware of the situation and to increase the observation of sprinklers along their patrol routes.
- It was suggested someone from the Sheriff’s Office come speak at a future AAB meeting regarding agricultural thefts.
- Gail Meisner notified the Board that the Bee Family Farm Fundraiser will take place on May 12, 2012, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Karen Crumbaker will look into securing a table for the AAB to have a display table at the 2012 Larimer County Fair.
- Charlie Gindler announced there will be two five-year leases available by RFP competitive bids. An announcement will be made in late May.
- Richard Seaworth announced concern over a blanket fire ban that was in place in Larimer County. He would like to see the County make exceptions for burning ditches.
VII. The next AAB meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension Office, 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO
VIII. The meeting was adjourned at 2:45 p.m. to tour ARDEC
(AAB/May 9, 2012 Minutes)