LARIMER COUNTY AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
May 8, 2013
Members present: David Bee, Curtis Bridges, LuAnn Goodyear, Lew Grant, Debra Herston, Minerva Lee, Val Manning, Gail Meisner, John Rankin, George Reed, Mike Salaz, Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky, and Zach Thode. Others present: Jennifer Bornhoft (CSU, ARDEC), Karen Crumbaker (CSU Extension liaison), Brenda Gimeson (Staff liaison, Larimer County Planning & Building Division), Charles Gindler (Larimer County Department of Natural Resources liaison), Bill Spencer (liaison). Guest: Laura Tyler, Fort Collins Conservation District, Savanah Benedick, and Terry Gilbert.
Member absent: George Wallace.
I. Curtis Bridges called the meeting to order at 12:30 p.m.
II. The March 13, 2013 AAB Meeting Minutes were approved.
III. Introductions of AAB members and guests.
IV. Rebecca Goldbach, Community and Economic Development Post Doc in the Department of Ag. and Resource Economics, discussed the results of the study that CSU conducted from November, 2012 to March, 2013, on the status of the drought in Colorado and its impact on profits. To learn more about the results, contact Rebecca at email@example.com or James Pritchett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
V. Robert “Terry” Gilbert, Larimer County Community Development Director, was introduced to the Board. Terry gave a brief history of his career and told the Board his goal was to work more with rural communities in Larimer County over the next two years.
VI. John Rankin provided a committee report.
- Legislation and Public Policy - The committee is following a number of house and senate bills.
- Water Availability - Members have been participating with the Poudre Basin Water Sharing Working Group, which the AAB Water Committee helped organize.
- Ag. Land Preservation and Stewardship - No new activity. The Legacy Land Trust is hosting “Legacy Night” at the Lincoln Center on May 11, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. The Larimer County open lands study of “Our Lands, Our Future” is proceeding on schedule.
- Public Education and Outreach - The committee is currently working on creating a bumper sticker that could be handed out at special events. The AAB will have a presence, once again, at the 2013 Larimer County Fair. The committee is looking into hosting a booth in the vendor area for the duration of the fair.
VII. The AAB was asked to vote on their top three favorite bumper stickers from a list compiled from suggestions by the Board. “American Agriculture -- True Homeland Security” was voted the favorite. The Education Committee will look into having bumper stickers available by the time of the Larimer County Fair.
VIII. Richard Seaworth asked the Board for feedback on a proposed draft letter from the AAB to the Larimer County Commissioners regarding the condemnation of agricultural lands. “The AAB supports all efforts to preserve both land and water rights in Larimer County and believes that the use of condemnation should only be used in cases involving a threat to public health and safety.”
- Laura Tyler, Fort Collins Conservation District, announced the Conservation District bailing twine recycling program. Drop off sites for used twine are at the Ace Hardware in Wellington and Jax Farm and Ranch in Fort Collins.
- A local food cluster meeting will take place May 13, 2013, 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Plymouth Congregational Church in Fort Collins. The second meeting to gather input will take place on June 24, 2013, 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Location TBD.
- CSU Larimer County Extension will host an alfalfa management program at ARDEC on May 16, 2013, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Pioneer Living Day will take place on June 22, 2013, at the Bee Family Farm in Wellington, Colorado.
XI. The next AAB meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 10, 2013, at 12:30 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension Office, 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
XII. The meeting was adjourned at 2:54 p.m.