AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
January 12, 2011
Members present: David Bee, Curtis Bridges, Dennis Goeltl, LuAnn Goodyear, Jason Kraft, Val Manning, Gail Meisner, Brett Markham, George Reed, Jon Slutsky, and George Wallace. Others present: Karen Crumbaker (Extension), Charl es Gindler (L arimer Coun ty D NR), and Linda Hoffmann (Staff liaison, Larimer County Planning & Building Division). Guests: Judy Lindquist and Bill Spencer.
Members absent: Justin Discoe, Lew Grant, Minerva Lee, and Richard Seaworth.
I. Val Manning called the meeting to order at 12:34 p.m. Board members introduced themselves to the new Board members, LuAnn Goodyear, Dennis Goeltl, and Gail Meisner, and attending guests, Judy Lindquist and Bill Spencer.
II. The November 10, 2010 AAB Meeting Minutes were reviewed and approved.
III. John Slutsky suggested adding the members who are absent to the Minutes. A motion was passed to include members absent to the Minutes.
IV. Three new Board members were introduced: Dennis Goeltl, LuAnn Goodyear and Gail Meisner.
V. The election of the AAB 2011 Officers was held. A motion was passed to reelect Val Manning, Chair, and David Bee, Vice Chair. There was discussion as to why the AAB does not have an elected Secretary. Linda Hoffmann volunteered to look into amending the By-laws to remove the secretary as an elected position.
VI. Each committee group reported on their continuing work.
Public Education Committee – Val Manning
- A spring seminar will be held on March 12, 2011, at the Larimer County Courthouse, 200 W. Oak Street, Fort Collins. The agenda has not been finalized. The focus of the conference this year will be the history of agriculture in Larimer County, water issues and concerns, buying local, eating local, and growing local. There was further discussion by the Board members as to the contents for the seminar. The Education Committee asked each AAB Committee to present the information they have compiled at the seminar. The Colorado Commissioner of Agriculture has been asked to speak at the conference. An additional suggested session was to present the results from the Northern Colorado Regional Food System Assessment.
Water Availability Committee – George Wallace
- George Wallace presented the power point presentation to the AAB, put together by the Water Availability Committee, entitled, “Agricultural Water in Larimer County – Why is it so Important”. The Board members made comments and corrections to the slide show. The AAB then approved the presentation.
Agricultural Land Preservation Policy Committee – George Reed
- George Reed reported on behalf of the land preservation committee. The committee held a three hour meeting on January 5, 2011. The Director of Legacy Land Trust was ub attendance. Legacy Land Trust and Larimer County Planning and Building will support the efforts by this committee. The topics discussed at this meeting were: (1) How to address agricultural zoning policies to increase farmers’ use rights under the current land use code; (2) What tools are available to help with land preservation; (3) The open lands tax will expire in 2018. There was concern that the money available from now until 2018 has been spent; and (4) The committee would like to involve local businesses (i.e. Budweiser, New Belgium Brewery) in land protection.
- The Larimer County Commissioners approved the work plan developed at the November 2010 AAB meeting
- Linda Hoffmann reported the Larimer County Planning Department has undergone a restructuring. Linda asked for volunteers from the AAB to assist the subcommittee from the Larimer County Planning and Building Department on rural occupation. Gail Meisner, Curtis Bridges, Jon Slutsky, and Val Manning volunteered to serve on behalf of the AAB. There will be a meeting with the Commissioners in February, 2011. The exact date is unknown at this time.
- The AAB meeting time will remain at 12:30 p.m.
- The Poudre Runs Through It: Northern Colorado’s Water Future. The future of the Poudre River and water for Northern Colorado is much debated. The first of a three part series begins with a public forum on Thursday, February 3, 2011, 5:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Larimer County Courthouse, 200 W. Oak Street, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- George Reed reminded the committee that to be listed in the Colorado Farm Fresh Directory, the form must be submitted to the Colorado Department of Agriculture, Markets Division, 700 Kipling Street, Suite 4000, Denver, Colorado by February 1, 2011.
- Gail Meisner reported the U.S Appeals Court placed a temporary hold on the U.S. District Court’s decision to destroy genetically modified sugar beet crops.
VIII. The next AAB meeting will be held on March 9, 2011 at 12:30 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension office.
IX. The meeting was adjourned at 3:12 p.m